Jun 30, 2009

ODTUG 09 - Day 2,3,4


I had to wait to get back home to post about ODTUG Kaleidoscope. Network connections were kinda hard to get and I was so busy attending conferences and networking with everyone.

So Here is the resume of the rest of my week at Kaleidoscope ODTUG 09 :

Day 2 - Monday

I tried to attend Tom Kyte's session but , it was full. Tom is very popular.

I attented Scott Spadafore session on APEX security essantials. He explained in details how we can prevent cross site scripting and were APEX has built-in filtering. He also talked about Session State Protection, session state protection and non-persistent password item types. I will have to read my notes and implement some of those security features.

The same day, Mike Hichwa presented APEX 4.0. All I can say is, wow. Tons of new features. Some of them I heard for the first time like built-in feature for REST Web Services. Also, the item plugin feature looks very promising as the comunity will be able to create new item types and share them.

I think that 4.0 will be an important step especially for those who are migrating from forms. The client side will be more rich since you will be able do implement AJAX declaratively (Dynamic Actions).


The APEX Meet-up was on monday night. This meet-up was the biggest by far. I counted 40 people. It is always fun the meet with old and new APEXcionados. The discussions always comes back to how cool this tool is and how the APEX community is great.


Day 3 - Tuesday

Attended Tom Kyte's session Database worst practices. This time I was early. Like always, his presentation are very good and right to the point.

Dietmar Aust presented Jasper reports integration with APEX. He showed how we can design very nice reports using a WYSIWYG editor. You have to install an appserver like tomcat and you can create reports using iReport. This is another thing that I have to try. We are currently using PL/PDF which is very good, but if you want something were it is easier to design, Jasper seems like a good alternative.

Dietmar mentioned that he would offer the integration kit for jasper reports for free. So keep an eye on his blog.

Roel Hartman session on how to integrate APEX and Oracle Forms was also very interesting. Roel showed us how he integrated a real form in an APEX page using iframes. He also explained how he got APEX and forms to communicate together. I think that this method could be useful if you are partially converting a FORMS application to APEX and if you had shared canevas between the OLD application and the new APEX application.

Brian Spendolini explained how we can build an APEX application on the iphone. Again, another thing that I have to try. Very interesting.

Tuesday evening , we had a great "Meet the Oracle Ace Reception". And also, I had a super great time playing Texas Hold'em with friends.


Day 4 - Wednesday (Quebec National Holiday june 24)

I attended the following sessions :

"Intelligent Data Exploration with APEX and OLAP" by Marty Gubar. He showed how to create drilled down reports on Oracle OLAP Cubes. Another good utility of APEX.

"Effectively Manageing an APEX instance using Resource Manager" by Joel Kallman. He explained how to create and maintain consumer groups to avoid having long running cpu intensive processes impacting the database. This is a very nice feature of the Enterprise Edition.

Then, it was my turn. gulp !
I talked about our Software As A Service and how we serve multiple companies with the exact same application. I showed some of the techniques that we use for having different looks and menus. So hopefully people learned something.


Day 5 - Thursday

Well, this was the last day. I was surprised to see how many people attended the last sessions.

I saw Patrick Cimolini "Developing a Rules and Guidelines document for APEX" session. For people like me that are more involved on the administrative side, this session was very interesting. He explained how they created development guidelines, standards and rules to have a team of developpers working on projects and delivering these projects on time and on budget. Basically, sometimes, you have to let go some of the cool stuff to be able to deliver on time.

Josh Millinger session "10 Easy ways to develop faster and more professionnaly with APEX" was also very popular. Lot of great tips to be more productive while developing with APEX. On of my favorite is : Don't try to re-invent the wheel. There are so many built-in features, especially for AJAX and Javascript.



So this is it. Now I have to get back to work.

It was nice to meet with everyone again. I had a lot of fun with other Canadians (Canapeans) fellows from Cognera in Calgary and with people from all around the world. Hopefully, we will have the chance to meet again at Oracle OpenWorld.

No comments: